Test Your Yiddish Skills
(answers are at the end)
1) Which one of these people might best be described as "zoftig?"
- Callista Flockhart
- Lara Flynn Boyle
- Kirstie Alley
- Woody Allen
2) You're driving around in eckveldt (the boondocks) and have no idea where
you are. You are:
3) You found it! The Holy Grail! A $2000 designer dress for just $39.95!
You've found a:
4) Which one of these people has a "ferbisseneh punim?"
- Michael Jackson
- Leona Helmsley
- Barbara Walters
- Julia Roberts
5) He eats like a pig and wipes his face with the back of his hand. He farts
and picks his nose at the dinner table. He curses like a drunken sailor.
He's a real:
- grubber yung
6) Which of these is NOT a body part?
7) Which of these is NOT an insult:
- shana maydel
8) You've gone to a wild party where you've been downing vodka jello shots
like candy. You can barely stand up anymore, and you've made a fool of
yourself in front of everyone you know. You are totally, completely:
9) Which of these things would you never find at a kosher restaurant?
- luckshen kugel
- kasha varnishkes
10) Of these various uses of "kishka", which one is incorrect?
- "Yes, waiter. I'll have the roast chicken with a side order of kishka."
- "That Yetta, she's such a piece of kishka!"
- "After twenty years of keeping secrets, he finally went to a shrink and
spilled my kishkas."
- "If anyone ever tried to mug me, boy, I'd give him such a chamalyiah in
Answers to Quiz:
Question 1 = C: Kirstie Alley
Question 2 = A: farblunget
Question 3 = D: metziah
Question 4 = B: Leona Helmsley
Question 5 = C: grubber yung
Question 6 = B: potchki
Question 7 = A: shana maydel
Question 8 = D: fershikert
Question 9 = C: treyf
Question 10 = B: "That Yetta, she's such a piece of kishka!"
from the November 2006 Edition of the Jewish Magazine