What is your Jewish I. Q.?
By Miriam Biskin
Do you consider yourself Jewishly educated? Why not take this little test and check your Jewish Quotient.
I. Who said ?
1. The Jew made a marvelous fight in the world...and has done it with one hand tied behind him...
2. I am a Jew and when the ancestors of the right honorable gentlemen were brutal savages...mine were priests in the temple of Solomon.
3. Hath not a Jew eyes? Hath not a Jew hands, organs, dimensions, senses, affections, passions?
4. Crush the skulls of the Jewish pack and the future will be won !
II. Check the following as to whether their attitude toward Jews and/or
Jewishness was positive or negative.
5. Catherine the Great ________
6. Henry Ford I _________
7. Julius Caesar __________
8. Willa Cather ___________
9. T.S.Eliot ____________
10. George Eliot_________
12. Karl Marx ____________
13. Queen Isabella of Spain _____________
14. Peter Minuet___________
15. Walt Disney___________
16. Emile Zola_________
17. Thaddeus Kosciusko________
18. Charles Dickens ___________
19. Rembrandt Van Rhyn_________
III. Which of the following are claimed to have some Jewish lineage?
20. Paul Newman
21. Christopher Columbus
22. Michael Tilson Thomas
23. Sigmund Freud
24. Franz Kafka
25. Boris Pasternak
26. Henry Kissinger
27. Joseph Leiberman
28. Thomas Mann
29. Amadeo Modigliani
30. Gwynth Paltrow
lV. Name the Jew associated with each of the following:
31. the discovery of the polio vaccine
32. the diphtheria test
33. a cure for syphilis
34. fiancer of the Revolution
35. only Jewish governor of NYS
36. poet whose sonnet is inscribed at the base of the Statue of Liberty
37. father of political Zionism
38. first president of Israel
39. victim of French anti-Semitic military plot
40. winner of seven gold Olympic medals
V. Define or explain the importance of each of the following.
44. Second Vatican Council Declaration for non-Christians.1965
45. the doctor's plot
46 Babi Yar by Yevtushenko
47. Chaucer's Prioress Tale
48. the Black Death
49. Jack the Ripper
50. Mendel Beilis
3. Shylock by Shakespeare
5-19. Only 7-10-16-17-18-19 are positive. The rest range from bigoted to lethal to maniacal)
20-30. The only one who is not credited by some authority as having Jewish antecedents is Mann, the German novelist who was one of the early anti-Nazi protestors.
31. Salk or Sabin
40. winner of seven gold Olympic medals
41. the organized massacre of Jews in Russia and Poland
42. Any of 25 provinces in Czarist where Jews were allowed to reside, where trade. commerce and religious activity was restricted.
43. a name derived from the Jewish quarter in Venice. In Spain , Jews were provided with walled and gated areas for their "protection." In Germany there was the Judenstrasse; in Prague, the Judenstadt, etc.
44. They agreed that the Jews were not guilty of the killing of Christ. the vote was not unanimous.
45. The proposed treason trials of Russian scientists under Stalin. At his death, some who survived were realized.
46. A poem written by a non-Jew describing the Nazi massacre of Jews in the USSR It was not a publicized event even though it happened during WWII/
47. In 1255, the murder of Hugh of Lincoln was blamed on the Jews and precipitated a tremendous wave of anti-Semitism. Over 100 Jews were executed and the basis for Chaucer's tale.
48. An epidemic which wiped our huge portions of the Christian population in Europe which was blamed on the Jews who probably escaped because their hygiene was better,
49. The story spread that Jack was probably a Jew and anti-Semitic riots broke out in London. When the rumor surfaced that the murderer was the Crown Prince, no one stormed Buckingham Palace.
50. In 1911, He was charged with the murder of a child in Kiev,. The investigation was accompanied by all sorts of propoganda and became one of the notorious Blood Libel cases. In 1913, a trial was held and the man was exonerated.
HOW DID YOU SCORE?
40-45 You know most of the story. A+
35-40 Do some more reading. B+
30-35 You need more reading, too. B
25-30 You are really out of it, but we like you. C+
20-25 You get credit for taking the test. C
15-20 You need help. D+
10-15. Are you really Jewish ? E
5-10 How can we say illiterate tactfully ? F